Wednesday, April 17, 2013

THE2013

Another great conference this year at Technology in Higher Education 2013 (THE2013)!  I was particularly impressed with the presentations by Philip Long, Derek Bruff (@derekbruff) and Steve Wheeler (@timbuckteeth). There was so much going on at the conference that it's hard to include it all in a single blog post... so I'll just mention a couple of my favorite points from Philip Long's keynote address.

Re: The need for transformation of traditional higher education models

"No existing education model can scale to meet changing demands [from society, technology, etc...]" 

Re: MOOC Badges vs Traditional Degrees

"Badges that get you a job [or a promotion] are going to skim the market of degree seekers..."

I also particularly like this Tweet from Steven Wheeler (@timbuckteeth): "I'll tell you where technology is transforming education. In the townships of South Africa and the shanty towns of India and Brazil #the2013"

As for me, I had a great time with my workshop presentation called "Create Your Own Mobile RLOs for Situated Active Learning."  There must have been at least 50 participants in the room, since I ran out of the handouts that I brought with me!  The premise of my workshop was that anyone can create effective mobile reusable learning objects without any prior programming / web-design skills, or investment in hardware or software infrastructure.  In the one-hour workshop, I briefly introduced the theory behind my concept of Collaborative Situated Active mLearning (CSAM -- which I will be presenting a poster on at Mobile Learning: Gulf Perspectives next week in Abu Dhabi), showed some examples of mobile RLOs I have built using the free online resource Winksite, and collaborated with the group to create an entirely new mobile RLO from scratch! (The one we built as a whole group had three pages, explained how to calculate the area of a rectangle or square, and included an interactive activity that calls on learners to figure out the area of their classroom and post their responses to the embedded discussion forum!)  I can't wait to see what other mini RLOs some of the participants came up with on their own during the session!

I prepared a PPT slideshow for my workshop, which can be found at http://www.slideshare.net/RobertPower1/the-presentation-power-mobile-rlos. I also created a mobile RLO about "Create Your Own Mobile RLOs," which participants used to follow the presentation on their phones (and can keep bookmarked as a takeaway / refresher when they go to start making their own RLOs down the road...).  You can access that RLO at http://tinyurl.com/mobilerlos

I must say, attending (and presenting) at THE2013 was a great way to end what's been an extremely busy term (which has included participating in my EdD "Leadership and Project Management for Distance Education" course, organizing CNA-Q's 6th Annual Exploring ICT in Education Conference, launching the preparations for mLearn 2013, and, most significantly, the birth of our third child!).

No comments:

Post a Comment